The U.S. military plans to deploy 5,000 troops to the southwest U.S. border in anticipation of a multitude of Latino migrants and asylum seekers currently moving northward in Mexico heading to the United States, U.S. officials said Monday.
The President issued this statement:
“To those in the Caravan, turnaround. We are not letting people into the Unites States illegally. Go back to your Country and if you want, apply for citizenship like millions of others are doing!”
The President went on to say:
Sadly, it looks like Mexico’s Police and Military are unable to stop the Caravan heading to the Southern Border of the United States. Criminals and unknown Middle Easterners are mixed in. I have alerted Border Patrol and Military that this is a National Emergency.
Officials said last week that they were considering a plan to send up to 1,000 active-duty troops to the border, but that deployment has increased to 5,000, according to the Department of Homeland Security.