Skip to main content

A Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department officer-involved shooting occurred at a home located on Ernest Russell Court Charlotte, NC. A man shot his own female family member during a domestic dispute, and then a Charlotte officer shot the man, killing him.

This is the second time this year a CMPD officer has killed a civilian on the job, video shows the first encounter.

On August 1, 2019, at 8:08 p.m., officers responded to a domestic disturbance call at the home on Ernest Russell Court. The officers arrived at the scene and determined that the suspect had already left the location prior to their arrival.

On August 2, 2019, at 12:12 a.m., 911 received a call from a female located at this same residence on Ernest Russell Court. The female caller stated that her father was armed with a gun. As the 911 operator was speaking to the female, the operator heard gunshots being fired in the background.

During the 911 call, the female also told the operator that her mother and aunt were still inside the home with her father and that her father was pointing a gun at her aunt.

Scroll to Continue

Recommended for you

Officers arrived at the home and while they were outside they heard gunshots coming from inside the residence. An adult female exited the home after being shot in the leg. The victim informed the officers that her brother in-law had shot her.

The shot female victim additionally stated that her sister was still inside the home with the male suspect and that she believed the suspect was going to kill her sister.

A short time later a officer encountered the suspect at the rear of the home and perceived an imminent, lethal threat and discharged a firearm, striking the suspect.

The suspect was transported to Atrium Health’s Carolinas Medical Center where he was later pronounced deceased by hospital staff. The female victim who was shot in the leg was also transported to the hospital where she is being treated for a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

The investigation has revealed that 3 teen-aged children were inside the home when the incident first occurred but all three had exited the residence prior to officers arriving at the scene.