You can visit and browse this Site without revealing personally identifiable information about yourself. You may also choose to disclose personally identifiable information about yourself. Personally identifiable information is information that relates to and can be identified with a unique individual person.
Information That You Provide
Registration – When you register on this Site, you provide us with certain personally identifiable information such as your name, email address, postal address, and telephone number.
Free Subscriptions – When you sign up for a free subscription to receive our newsletters, emails and guides, we may ask for personally identifiable information which includes, without limitation, your name, email address, postal address, and telephone number.
Site activity information – We may keep track of some of the actions you take on this Site, such as your comments on articles.
Certain downloadable software applications and applets that we offer may transmit data to us. We may not make a formal disclosure if we believe our collection and use of the information is obvious for purposes of your use of such application. If we believe it is not obvious that we are collecting or using such information, we will make a disclosure to you the first time you provide the information to us so that you can decide whether you want to use that feature.
Information Collected Automatically
When you visit this Site, like when you visit most other websites, certain anonymous information about your visit is automatically logged, including the server name, browser type and IP address through which you access the internet, the date and time you access our site, the pages you access while at this Site, and the internet address of the website, if any, from which you linked directly to this Site, which we sometimes aggregate with similar information from other customers to help improve or promote our service.
“Cookies” — A cookie is a small piece of data stored on the user’s computer tied to information about the user. We use session ID cookies and persistent cookies. A session ID cookie terminates when you close your browser. A persistent cookie is stored for an extended period of time. Cookies allow us to recognize your computer while you are on this Site and when you return to this Site and help customize your online experience and make it more convenient for you. Cookies are also useful in tracking transaction histories and preserving information between sessions. The information collected from cookies may also be used to improve the functionality of this Site. Most web browser applications (such as Google Chrome and Firefox) have features that can notify you when you receive a cookie or prevent cookies from being sent. If you disable cookies, you may not be able to use certain personalized functions of this website.
Clear GIFs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs) — We employ a software technology called clear GIFs (sometimes called web beacons or web bugs), to learn what content users find effective. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of users. We may tie information collected through the use of Clear GIFs to users’ personally identifiable information.
Clear GIFs can “work with” existing cookies on a computer if they are both from the same web site. For example, clear GIFs enable us to match the Clear GIF identifier with a cookie ID number to show the past online behavior for a particular computer.
In addition, we use clear GIFs in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by the recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
Information from Other Sources – We may receive information about you from other sources, such as data compiled from our marketing partners (e.g. how you responded to an ad or other sponsored content (e.g. articles)), or data from social media sites.
Our Use of Your Information:
Your information is important to us. We use the personally identifiable information we collect through this Site only for such purposes described below:
- maintaining the security and integrity of our systems (e.g., helping to establish and verify the identity of users);
- providing services and support to users (e.g., responding to your questions, inquiries, comments and instructions, and opening, maintaining, administering and servicing users’ accounts);
- processing and servicing your other activities on this Site and sending related communications.
Disclosure of Information to Third Parties
We will only share information we have received about you with others as set forth below. If we need to share information about you for any other reason, we will obtain your consent before doing so.
- We may share, rent, sell, or otherwise disclose your information to unaffiliated third parties. We may share your information with third parties as part of a list rental service, whereby we work with unaffiliated third parties who wish to expand their potential customer list. In the event you do not wish for your information to be shared with third parties for such purposes, please contact us at the email address provided in the section of this Policy below titled “Choice/Opt-Out”. We will not sell your information we receive from third parties if disclosure would violate any policy of the third party.
- We may disclose personally identifiable information to unaffiliated service companies to help us maintain and operate this Site or for other reasons related to the operation of our own business or marketing. We require these service-related companies to take steps to maintain the confidentiality of any personally identifiable information they may receive from us to perform their functions, consistent with our Policy, and they may not use this information for any other purpose.
- In connection with the Site’s comment functionality, your first name and last initial, username and/or profile picture may be displayed in any comment you post to any article on this Site and may be seen by anyone accessing this Site.
- When you make payments on this Site, we will share transaction information with only those third parties necessary to complete the transaction.
- You may choose to share information with marketers or electronic commerce providers that are not associated with this Site through on-site offers. This is entirely at your discretion and we will not provide your information to these marketers without your consent.
- Sometimes we share aggregated information with third parties to help improve or promote our service. But we only do so in such a way that no individual user can be identified or linked to any specific action or information.
- We may conduct joint promotions with other companies or use a sweepstakes administrator. We may share with such companies (and their service providers) certain personally identifiable information as necessary to conduct the promotion. We will not share this information with our promotional partners for any other purpose without your prior consent. We require these companies to take steps to maintain the confidentiality of any personally identifiable information they may receive from us, and require them to use such information only for legitimate business purposes associated with us.
- We may ask third party advertisers to display ads promoting our services. We may ask them to deliver those ads based on the presence of a cookie, but in doing so will not share any other information with the advertiser.
- We may disclose personally identifiable information about you in connection with legal requirements, such as in response to an authorized subpoena, governmental request or investigation, or as otherwise required by applicable law.
- As our business develops, we may sell, buy, or transfer corporate assets, and in such transactions customer information may be one of the transferred business assets. Also, in the event that this Site, ourselves, or substantially all of our assets are acquired, personally identifiable information may be one of the assets transferred in such acquisition.
- We may use third-party marketing companies to serve ads and other sponsored content when you visit our Site. These companies may collect and use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visit to this Site in order to provide advertisements about goods and services or other sponsored content that may be of interest to you. In the course of serving advertisements or other sponsored content to this Site, our third-party marketing partners may place or recognize a unique “cookie” on your browser or a widget on our site.
Changing or Updating Information
Deactivating or deleting your account – If you want to stop using your account, you may delete it by contacting us (see our Frequently Asked Questions page for further information). When you ask us to delete an account, it will be permanently deleted from this Site. You should only ask to delete your account if you are certain you never want to reactivate it.
Backup copies –Removed and deleted information may persist in backup copies, but will not be available to others.
Children under the age of 13 are prohibited from registering for this Site. We do not solicit or knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If we nevertheless receive personally identifiable information from an individual who indicates that he or she is, or whom we otherwise have reason to believe is, under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our systems. We reserve the right to add special protections for and restrictions on any users under the age of eighteen, in order to provide for an age-appropriate experience for such users.
We and our service providers maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to help guard your personal information. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services, and you use the Site at your own risk. We may keep this information and archive such information at our discretion.
We have taken measures to ensure that transacting on the website is a safe and enjoyable experience for our valued users. The Site uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology, the industry standard for secure online transactions, to encrypt your personal credit information, including your credit card number, before it travels over the internet. As a result of our use of SSL technology, making a payment with this Site is just as safe as providing your credit card number over the telephone. In the unlikely event of credit card fraud, we will work with your credit card company to resolve the issue. Typically, credit card holders are not responsible for any fraudulent charges.
Additionally, and in accordance with industry custom, this Site enforces commercially reasonable security measures which are commensurate with the sensitivity of the personal information (including encryption using SSL technology) in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of personal information that we have collected from you on this Site.
In order to provide service to you, we will send you communications related to your activities, security or the administration of this Site. From time to time, we and our affiliates may also wish to send you other messages or updates about our services, promotions, and other activities. If you do not wish to receive such promotional communications from us and our affiliates please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page for further information on how you can opt-out. You can also send an email containing your request to NCAIPress@ncai.org. Even if you opt-out, however, you may still receive account-related and non-commercial messages from us. To get placed on our “DO NOT EMAIL” list, send a request to NCAIPress@ncai.org. If your email address is added to the “DO NOT EMAIL” list, you will not receive any newsletters or other opt-in email messages.
Transmission of Information