Position Title: Finance Technician
Reports To: Director of Finance
The Organization: NDN Collective is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds the power of Indigenous Peoples, Communities, and Nations to exercise our inherent right to self-determination, while fostering a world that is built on a foundation of justice.
Job Purpose: The Finance Technician performs a variety of technical, and administrative financial support duties in the financial activities of the organization.
WHO WE ARE
NDN Collective is an ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
1. We are increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants by 2020.
2. We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
3. We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
4. We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
· We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations.
· We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things.
· We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance.
· We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet.
· We integrate culture and ceremony into our work.
· We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Performs a variety of technical, and administrative financial support duties including, but not limited to, financial planning and reporting, budget development and monitoring, accounts receivable and payable, journal entries, financial reports, account reconciliations, and financial close.
· Reviews a variety of documents for accuracy and completeness.
· Assists with developing policies, procedures, and forms.
· Researches information, evaluates, and compiles results and prepares detailed summaries, reports, presentations, and general and technical correspondence.
· Assists with tracking project progress, payments, expenditures, and reimbursements.
· Receives and responds to questions and concerns; identifies issues and resolves problems or refers to supervisor as appropriate.
· Assists in developing, implementing, and maintaining computer systems and applications, tracking systems, databases, and spreadsheets.
· Performs other duties, as assigned.
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, personal leave, wellness and professional development.
WHO YOU ARE
Education and Experience
- Associate’s degree or equivalent in accounting, economics, finance, business or public administration, or a related field is required, Bachelor’s degree is desirable.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Operations and services of finance and accounting.
- Terminology and practices of financial and account document processing and recordkeeping, including accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Business mathematics and financial and statistical techniques.
- Principles and practices of providing a high level of customer service.
- Principles and practices of recordkeeping.
- Relevant occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Modern office practices and methods related to the work.
Skills and abilities
- Perform detailed account and financial support work accurately and in a timely manner.
- Make accurate mathematic, financial, and statistical computations.
- Develop, implement, and maintain computer systems and applications, tracking systems, and advanced spreadsheets and databases.
- Understand, interpret, and apply all relevant laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Compose correspondence and reports independently or from brief instructions.
- Enter and retrieve data from a computer with sufficient speed and accuracy.
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, recordkeeping, and tracking systems.
- Independently organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and follow up on assignments.
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills and establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships.
- Communicate effectively in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
Proficiency in the use of computer programs for:
· Word processing
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Finance Technician – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
· As a single PDF attachment, include:
o Your resume
o 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
o Short answers to the following three questions:
§ What is your philosophy about financial management?
§ What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
§ What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
· In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.