National Congress of American Indians
1516 P Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20005 - 202/466-7767
Human Resources & Operations Specialist
Founded in 1944, the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) is the oldest, largest, and most representative American Indian and Alaska Native organization in the country. NCAI advocates on behalf of tribal governments and communities, promoting strong tribal-federal government-to-government policies, and promoting a better understanding among the general public regarding American Indian and Alaska Native governments, people, and rights. For more information, visit the NCAI website at www.ncai.org.
NCAI is seeking a skilled HR & Operations Specialist to oversee all aspects of human resources practices, processes, and compliance, and support business operation needs. This position reports to the Deputy Director and will serve as a trusted HR and Operations business partner and resource for all employees, prospective new hires/fellows, outside vendors, and the Board as requested.
The incumbent will promote organizational values and enable success through solid communication and human resources management for the full employment life cycle including, job design, recruitment, performance management, training and development, employment cycle changes, talent management, benefits, and compensation management ensuring compliance and exemplary practices. In addition, this position will assist in other operational areas to support the Deputy Director and overall organization with copy editing, report development, administrative support and coordinating team projects.
This is a great opportunity for someone with human resources experience who wants to continue to develop that knowledge and expertise but also serve as a true business partner by being involved with the operations of an organization. The successful candidate thrives working in a small organization, wearing many hats, learning new things, and is willing to do whatever is needed to support team members at all levels.
· Bachelor's degree required; BS/MS in Human Resources or related field and/or professional HR certification a plus.
· Proven and related work experience as an HR assistant, administrator, or manager required, including compliance and employee relations support.
· Change management experience with ability to navigate challenges, build creditability, and effectively communicate with all levels.
· Ability to maintain professionalism and confidentiality.
· Teacher and coach who is approachable, can develop managers and employees and empower them to take responsibility, enabling an engaging, respectful, and rewarding work culture.
· Good writer with strong verbal/people skills.
· Team player, willing to wear many hats and be happy doing so, including answering phones when needed, providing operational support, etc.
· Background or experience in Native American Affairs or Native organizations a plus.
Under the direction of the NCAI Deputy Director, the primary duties of the HR & Operations Specialist include:
· Work with management and other relevant stakeholders to roll out and train staff on policies, helping ensure understanding and acceptance.
· Lead and project manage the automation transformation of HR recordkeeping.
· Apply and continue to develop HR expertise to ensure current, reliable, fair, and compliant human resources administration and management practices.
· Oversee hiring and recruitment process including coordinating job posting, reviewing resumes, performing reference checks, and employment verifications and, drafting the offer letter.
· Administer and manage benefit programs, compliance reporting, and serve as information resource for benefit programs, employee, and organizational policies.
· Ensure organized, consistent, and timely HR practices including on-boarding/new hire orientation, off-boarding/exit-processing, performance feedback and evaluations, salary administration practices, and all aspects of HR.
· Serve as trusted resource for staff members at all levels handling employee relations matters with professionalism and discretion, through resolution.
· Compile, compose, and/or edit reports, correspondence.
· Coordinate travel.
· Support operations needs.
· Other responsibilities and special projects as approved or assigned.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. NCAI offers excellent, competitive benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, disability, paid time off, and a 401(k) plan.
Submit a cover letter, resume, brief (no more than 2 pages) writing sample and the names and contact information of three references, by email (preferred) to email@example.com. No phone calls please.