Report To: Tribal Council
Job Vacancy: YAN-19-041
Status: Full-time; Exempt
Starting Wage: DOE
Opening Date: 4/29/2019
Closing Date: 5/24/2019
The Treasurer/ Finance Director provides direct support to the Nation’s Officials within the Executive Department including the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, and Secretary as well as the Yavapai-Apache Nation Tribal Council in all matters affecting Nation’s finances. The Treasurer/ Finance Director also supervises all staff within the Finance Department in carrying out the Departments day to day operations. In direct consultation with the Tribal Council, the Executive Department, and the Judiciary, the Treasurer/ Finance Director shall coordinate receiving, reporting, monitoring and accounting for the investing of the Nation’s financial assets.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Finance from an accredited university.
* CPA (Certified Public Accountant) certification required.
* Minimum seven (7) years varied financial background, prefer at least one (1) year experience with tribal issues and tribal government financial management.
* Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex financial data.
* Ability to make effective presentations on controversial or complex topics.
* Ability to apply principals of logical or scientific thinking to a wide variety of intellectual and practical problems.
* Evidence of continuing education to maintain any required Certification/License and update knowledge and skills.
* Must have a valid Arizona Driver’s License and be insurable with the Nation’s auto insurance policy and sustain insurability throughout the duration of employment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Manages the Finance Department professionally and in the best interests of the Nation.
* Provides direct support to the Tribal Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and Tribal Council in understanding and managing the financial affairs of the Nation and otherwise assisting the Tribal Council as requested in carrying out its fiscal responsibilities under the Constitution of the Yavapai-Apache Nation.
* May act as an agent of the Nation in various transactions as assigned.
* In consultation with the Nation’s Attorney General prepares financial related contracts and assists in completing other legal transactions involving the Nation’s finances.
* In conjunction with the Tribal Council, the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairperson develops an annual and long-range financial plan for the Nation.
* Evaluates and reviews the performance of personnel within the Finance Department.
* Supports and interfaces the performance of personnel within the Finance Department.
* Conducts, attends and interacts in meetings with Yavapai-Apache Nation officials, personnel, other public agencies and the public.
* Maintains professional education and interaction at meetings/conferences to keep abreast of changes in requirements which affect the nation and current trends in the field of financial management.
* Maintains a positive working relationship with Tribal officials and other employees.
* Participates on various Nation work groups.
* Shall prepare an annual draft budget for the entire Nation and present the same to the Tribal Council for its consideration and approval each year.
* Shall assist the Nation’s subordinate economic organizations, committees and boards in the development of their annual draft budgets for their presentation to the Tribal Council for its consideration and approval each year.
* Shall act as liaison between the Tribal Council and the Executive Department on all financial matters and shall advise the Council and Executive Department as needed or requested on all financial issues of the Nation that come before the Council or the Executive Department.
* Shall attend all tribal Council regular and special business meetings.
* Shall understand, develop, maintain and update the financial policies of the Nation and recommend to the Tribal Council changes to said policies as needed.
* Shall oversee all minor and adult trust accounts as provided in the Nation’s Gaming Revenue Allocation Plan.
* Shall report to the Tribal Council quarterly and annually concerning the trust accounts and financial investments of the Nation.
* Shall secure loans and financing for projects as directed by the Tribal Council.
* Shall collect and account for taxes and fees assessed under the laws of the Nation.
* Shall advise the Tribal Council on any financial matters of the Nation and shall provide quarterly and annual financial reports to the Council on the Nation’s overall financial condition.
* Shall review the approved budgets and financial records of the Nation and the Nation’s subordinate economic organizations on a periodic basis in order to make recommendations to the Tribal Council concerning appropriate actions or amendments that the Council may wish to make to such budgets.
* Shall perform any other duties and assignments as required by the Tribal Council, by the Executive Department, by the laws of the Nation, and under any job description as may be approved by the Council (including any job description previously approved for the position of the Finance Director).
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the environment is typical of an office setting. While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to sit; talk or hear; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
How to apply: Please submit your resume and application to:
Yavapai-Apache Nation / Human Resources
2400 W. Datsi / Camp Verde, AZ 86322
P: 928-567-1062 / Fax: 928-567-1064
Preference will be given to qualified applicants who are members of federally recognized Indian tribes. To be considered for Indian Preference, you must submit your Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) with your application.
WILL BE REQUIRED TO PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN AND COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK WHICH WILL INCLUDE FINGERPRINTING