JOB TITLE: Tribal Administrator
AGENCY: Ketchikan Indian Corporation (KIC)
DEPARTMENT: Senior Staff/Administration
REPORTS TO: KIC Tribal Council
SALARY RANGE: To Be Determined based on experience
STATUS: Exempt- Full-Time Employee
WORK LOCATION: 2960 Tongass Ave, Ketchikan, AK, 99901
WHO MAY APPLY: OPEN
All qualified applicants that meet the Knowledge, Skills, and Ability (KSA) Requirements.
Consistent with Public Law 93-638 and other federal laws recognizing inherent right of the Tribe to exercise Indian Preference. Documentation of Tribal Enrollment must be included with application submission.
SUPERVISORY STATUS: YES
Supervises: Senior Management including, but not limited to; Deputy Tribal Administrator, Health Administrator, Chief Finance Officer, Human Resources Director, Communications Director, Information Technology Director, Education Director, Social Services, and Housing Director.
The person entrusted with the role of Tribal Administrator (TA) is a high-profile, dynamic, forward-thinking leader and administrator. They exude exceptional communication skills, work ethic and solid experience in managing, mentoring, motivating and inspiring those working with him/her toward accomplishing the common objectives of the Tribal Council. Provides executive level advice, guidance, direction and authorization to carry out major plans and procedures consistent with policies established to provide the highest quality programs and services to its Tribal Members. The TA is responsible for management of daily operations in a manner that successfully balances KIC programs and services with the mission, Tribal Members, and fiscal sustainability. The TA is accountable for implementing the strategic vision and goals set forth by the Tribal Council for both the present and the long-term objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned or changed)
Provide vigorous, dynamic, visionary and strategic leadership and management for the senior staff of KIC following the guidance of Tribal Council.
Achieve proficient and ongoing communication with the Tribal Council, KIC staff, as well as tribal members.
Oversee the most critical services to membership including all department leads and departments within KIC.
Oversee program planning, implementation, execution, and monitoring. Identifying resources, developing strategies to engage the senior staff with supporting the Tribal Council's efforts. Key initiatives include strategic plan implementation that enables full integration into daily operations, ensure senior staff has tools and resources to perform their duties, clear interpretation of Tribal Council goals and guidance and communication to KIC staff.
· Effectively motivate and manage staff to excellent productivity, low turnover, and staff satisfaction.
· Manage the departments according to policies and procedures that fully comply with current laws and regulations.
· Serves as Tribal Council’s lead for oversight and management of KIC staff operations being in full compliance with the Tribal Constitution, Ordinance 8, Tribal laws and regulations, KIC policies and procedures per Tribal Policies. Recommends updates, changes, and additions as needed.
· Ensure superior financial stewardship, in coordination with the CFO and staff, create and recommend the annual budget to Tribal Council for approval. Manage the Corporation's resources within the budget guidelines, while maintaining service to the mission and recommend justifiable changes to the Tribal Council. Ensure the short and long term financial stability of the organization and mitigate risk with all contracts and funding agreements through the Tribal Council.
· Fiscal responsibility, full audit compliance, administering and approving budgets, contractual agreements and overall financial oversight for KIC operations.
· Serve as a representative for the Tribal Council to local, state and federal agencies. Act as the Tribal Council's primary employee for meetings and as the committee representative establishing and preparing all meetings. Provide management and leadership to the government and public affairs efforts prescribed by the Tribal Council on behalf of all members.
· Support operations and administration of the Tribal Council by advising and informing Council members, interfacing with council and KIC staff and supporting the tribal members.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (KSA) REQUIREMENTS:
· 10 years of experience in senior management and leadership roles with five years minimum in an executive leadership position.
· Executive Leader with clear passion and commitment to the Native community. A leader capable of harnessing the tremendous energy and enthusiasm of the staff and tribal members.
· Proven record working with Native based organizations and extensive program, service build, delivery, and management knowledge/history.
· Knowledge of regulations: Bureau of Indian Affairs, Indian Health Service, NAHASDA and other applicable state/federal funding agencies.
· Demonstrated ability to plan, implement and manage at both strategic and operational levels.
· High energy, drive, and fortitude to move an organization forward. Values integrity and honesty.
· Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
· Ability to work collaboratively with the Tribal Council, colleagues, and staff to create a high-functioning team orientated culture. Empower and enable the team to accomplish targeted results.
· Experience in advocacy/Tribal government relations. Articulate at all levels of advocacy communication and presentation.
· Strong experience working with Tribal Councils.
· Experience and success with creating an inclusive and trusting work environment.
· Strong analytical skills with experience developing solutions and making recommendations on a broad range of management challenges with the ability to maintain strict confidentiality
· Knowledge or desire to learn Alaska Native Cultures and Protocols.
· Job creation and experience building business opportunities are preferred qualifications, not required.
· Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or equivalent preferred.
Must possess current valid State of Alaska driver's license or be eligible to receive one with a record acceptable to KIC's Insurance carrier.
Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in Business Administration, Public Administration, or accounting and a focus in management required. Master's degree preferred. Minimum ten (10) years' experience in senior level supervisory management with Five (5) years executive level that includes increasing leadership and administrative responsibilities.
Ketchikan, Alaska is a cozy coastal town, rich in community and culture. Ketchikan Indian Corporation has the honor to be the governing body for the Natives in the Ketchikan area. The tribe began direct delivery services to the Native residents with only two staff members in 1975. The staff has grown to over 100 employees with the increased identification of the tribal community needs. Beginning in 1992 KIC became a signatory in a compact of self-governance between Southeast Tribes and the United States of America, providing services to tribal members in a Government to Government Relationship, upholding Sovereignty for tribal members. The Tribal Council as the established governing body provides oversight and works in collaboration with the KIC staff, who focus on daily business operations to provide the highest quality of programs and services to tribal members. Providing a work environment that is rich in energy, resourcefulness, compassion, collaboration, and respect. Traditional Southeast tribal values drive KIC. The KIC mission is to preserve tribal member’s sovereignty, enhancing economic and cultural resources and promote self-sufficiency and self-governance for their citizens through collaboration, service, and advocacy. KIC partners with the community and tribal members to deliver services and provide assistance in improving the lives of all tribal members. The Tribal Council is looking for a strong, compassionate, and competent leader to serve as the Tribal Administrator, overseeing the daily operations of the Ketchikan Indian Corporation.