Indigenous Environmental Network
As I write this numerous elders and many others have been arrested on a remote access road leading to the sacred site of Mauna Kea, on the Big Island of Hawai'i.
For three days now, Maunakea Kia'i (Protectors of Mauna Kea) have enacted peaceful civil disobedience to stop the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) on top of this sacred mountain. In response to the state of Hawai'i's efforts to start construction, these Kia'i have created a sanctuary space called Puʻuhonua o Puʻuhuluhulu, which is a long-term basecamp of operations.
Indigenous Environmental Network stands with our Kanaka Maoli relatives fighting the TMT to protect their culture, peoples, and sacred site! And we ask you to stand with us!
Here are some ways you can support our Kai'i relatives at Puʻuhonua o Puʻuhuluhulu who are protecting Mauna Kea.
To learn about WHY Kanaka Maoli are against the TMT project, read an article by Kanae Okana HERE.
To support direct action support/camp logistics, HULI, donate HERE.
To donate to the Legal Defense Fund, KAHEA, visit HERE.
The Mauna Medics Healers Nui medical services are seeking help with needed items, access their Target registry HERE.
Gift Cards, or registry items from Target
- Milk of Magnesia (no flavors, no off brands with alcohol)
- Flip top water bottles
- GAS CARDS
- Gift Cards to Walmart, Target, Safeway
- Exercise Mats/Camping mats
- Large and small Sunscreen, sunscreen sticks
- SPF chapstick
- Hand warmers/body warmers, foot warmers
- Emergency blankets
- Chemical and Shatter Resistant goggles
- High Decibel ear plugs and ear muffs
- 10X10 (or larger) Shade tents
- Salves for pain, aches, sunburn
- Basic first aid kits
- Medical Gloves (size M & L)
- Clean Blankets/Coats/Warm socks
Take action by contacting those pushing forward the TMT below:
From Kaho’okahi Kanuha on the frontlines:
“This is our most sacred mountain; this is our most sacred place. It is the highest place, it is the home of our sacred waters, and it is the home of our deities.”