Steak 'n Shake Employee Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting in Charlotte

Andrew Tetreault

Two injured including suspect, one dead after a police-involved shooting at a South Charlotte Steak 'n Shake.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and Pineville Police Department are conducting a joint homicide investigation after a triple shooting with a fatality at a South Charlotte Restaurant. On Tuesday morning at approximately 11:30 a.m., Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department and Pineville Department received multiple 911 calls regarding an armed robbery at Steak 'n Shake at 9700 South Blvd. Pineville Police Officers were in the area on another call when the armed robbery call was reported. Those officers quickly responded to assist Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

According to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney, Pineville Police Officers arrived on scene and encountered an armed suspect. Chief Putney says the shooting most likely started inside the restaurant and spilled out into the parking lot. When officers from Pineville Police encountered the suspect, they engaged with the suspect and fired shots. The suspect was shot at least one time by police gunfire.

Sources say the unidentified male suspect entered the Steak 'n Shake which was packed with patrons and shot one employee. Paramedics pronounced the employee deceased on scene. A police source says a 2nd person was injured but it's unclear if they were shot or hit by gunfire.

An employee who works in the Steak 'n Shake said, "It's more than someone you work with it's family. It's hurtful, it hit too close to home."

At least 2 ambulances were seen leaving the parking lot of the South Boulevard Restaurant with a large police presence around the Steak 'n Shake. People nearby could been seen consoling one another and were visibly distraught over what had happened.

Police confirm the suspect was transported to a local hospital with what is being called "serious" injuries. A second person was also transported to an area hospital but their condition is not known. The investigation is ongoing and is far from over according to police.