The cop son of NYPD’s loudmouth union boss Patrick Lynch was stripped of his badge and gun for fleeing the scene of a shooting Sunday night.

Kevin Lynch, 23, was hanging out with another NYPD cop named Robert Smilove, 22, who is also the son of a cop, when Smilove negligently pulled the trigger of a gun he had purchased, firing a bullet through the window of a pickup truck they were sitting in.

The two cops then panicked and took off running as a neighbor called 911 to make a report about a shot fired at about 11 p.m., according to the New York Daily News.

New York City police arrived and found the abandoned Chevy Silverado, tracing it to Smilove’s mother, who owned the truck.

They showed up to the house where the Smilove family lives and the officer handed over a five-shot, .38 caliber revolver he had purchased.

The gun was loaded with four live rounds and one spent casing.

Smilove apparently told the cops he was with Lynch. Both were disciplined for not reporting the incident.

Smilove was suspended without pay and will likely be fired because he is still on probation and Lynch was placed on desk duty, according to the New York Post.


Patrick Lynch, the longtime president of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association of the City of New York, a man who is never at a loss of words, offered no comment about the incident.

The New York Post also reports that a third man was in the truck who is not a cop, but that was not mentioned in the Daily News story.

NYPD rules generally require officers to be armed at all times when in New York City, with exceptions including while off duty and engaged in activities that could lead to the weapon being stolen, while working a second job, or while consuming alcohol.

The NYPD’s Patrol Guide also requires any cop who fires a weapon within the city to immediately request a patrol supervisor and safeguard the scene pending an investigation that goes up the chain of command to the borough’s Firearms Discharge Advisory Board.

Smilove said he purchased the gun and was showing it to Lynch when he negligently discharged it.