Detectives in Kansas City Release Man who Answered by Passing Gas

Ben Keller

Detectives in Kansas City Release Man who Answered Interrogation Questions by Passing Gas

A Kansas City man facing potential federal drug and weapons charges flexed his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent during a police interrogation by passing passing gas instead of answering questions.

A detective interrogating 24-year-old Sean A. Sykes Jr. decided to cut him loose after holding him for possession with intent to sell cocaine, possession of marijuana and two handguns.

One of the stolen guns was a .357 Magnum found inside Sykes’ vehicle.

During the interrogation, Sykes denied knowing anything about the guns or drugs he was accused of possessing.

The detective questioning Sykes noted in his report that when he asked for his address Sykes “leaned to one side of his chair and release a loud fart before answering.”

A Federal Detectives Questioning Sean Sykes Jr. On Gun And Drugs Charges Ended His Interrogation After Sykes Continued To Break Wind Violently Instead Of Incriminating Himself By Answering His Questions.

According to the Kansas City Star, Sykes “continued to be flatulent” and the detective ended the interview prematurely.

“Mr. Sykes continued to be flatulent and I ended the interview,” the detective noted in his report.

Sykes was in a car that police searched on September 1 where they found a backpack containing the drugs.

After being taken into custody, Sykes farts managed to bring the interrogation, and charges against him, to a halt.

Charges related to the September 1 drugs and weapons charges were never filed.

However, Sykes’ luck apparently ran out when he was pulled over by police on November 5.

Kansas City police officers searched Sykes’ vehicle again and reportedly found crack cocaine, marijuana and a stolen handgun.

After being caught for the second time, Sykes is now being held in custody on possession charges.

The detectives’ report surfaced when Mr. Sykes made an initial court appearance on Monday, November 6.

He remains in custody pending a future hearing where his bond amount will be determined.

He’s currently charged with being a felon in possession of three firearms and possession with intent to sell cocaine.

According to the Associated Press, the federal public defenders office hasn’t responded to emails seeking comment.


Citizen Journalism