Kansas police raid student's apartment, seize computer, over Youtube video
Update: Police also canceled a student senate debate on the day of the raid because of an “unsubstantiated rumor.”
He is Asian. He likes guns. And he likes to use the word “fuck”.
So naturally when Tutu Lee posted a Youtube video announcing his candidacy for University of Kansas student body president, police had no choice but to seize his computer earlier today.
First they tried to do it without a warrant, but then they realized there are certain formalities in violating someone’s First Amendment rights.
Diana Rhodes, Senate office secretary, said the police arrived at the office about 10 a.m. with a warrant to take Lee’s computer, which was stored in a cabinet near her desk.
Rhodes said she often stored students’ personal belongings in the cabinet so students would not have to worry about them during the day.
Rhodes said that the police tried to take the computer around 3 p.m. Monday, but that they were unable to do so because they didn’t have a warrant.
The article in the university newspaper also said the Lawrence Police Department searched his apartment on Monday, but evidentally couldn’t find the computer, which was on campus.
Lee told the newspaper that police were investigating him for “reckless communication of a criminal threat”. Check out the video above to determine for yourself.
Then check out the article introducing Lee as a candidate. Dangerous stuff.
A commenter on the first article, who apparently is Lee, posted a copy of the search warrant:
STATE OF KANSAS, DOUGLAS COUNTY, ss
TO ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS:
Having evidence under oath before me from which I find there is probable cause to believe that a crime has been or is being committed and that certain items; to-wit;
1. Any Sig Sauer brand P220 semi-automatic handgun, any black and silver Springfield XD .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun, any black colored rifle, magazines, holsters, magazine holders and/or ammunition.
2. Any documents related to the purchase, ownership, or transfer of any firearms.
3. Any black long-sleeve T-shirt, cargo style khaki shorts, black sunglasses, black clip on style knife, black belt, black/white tennis shoes, black magazine holder and black holster.
4. Any short sleeve black t-shirt, blue jeans, any orange t-shirt with white screen printing and women’s khaki colored shorts.
5. Any rectangle shaped cardboard, white paper plates, gray duct tape, white PVC pipe, wood and cedar blocks.
6. Any maroon and black colored portable outdoor chairs.
7. Any Dell brand computer, any Apple brand computer and/or PC style computer(s), flash drives and/or any media, which could be used to store electronic data and their electronically stored data contained within.
8. Any camera with the ability to store still and video images and the electronically stored data contained within.
9. Any cell phone and the electronically stored data contained within.
10. Any personal property tending to establish identities of person(s) in control of the premises to be searched including, but not limited to utility receipts, rental receipts, photographs and/or other visual media-their electronically stored data, books, utility bills, ledgers, and other documents.
Which items are contraband or are fruits, instrumentalities, or evidence of such crime, or were used in the commission of such crime, are located in or upon
1. The single family premise commonly referred to 1203 Oread Road Apartment #11 Lawrence, Douglas County Kansas. The apartment is located on the second floor middle of the three story brick building, which is located on the southwest corner of West 12th Street and Oread Avenue Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas. The apartment door is clearly marked with the #11.
YOU ARE THEREFORE COMMANDED forthwith, within ninety-six (96) hours of the issuance hereof, to search the person, place, things or means of conveyance hereinbefore specified for such items, holding them to be dealt with according to law, and to make due return of this warrant, whether executed or not.
Issued this 6th day of April, 2009 at 12:03 o’clock PM.
[Signature of District Judge]