MA, New Hampshire Troopers Arrested After Violent Arrest in Multi-ST


Massachusetts, New Hampshire Troopers Arrested After Violent Arrest in Multi-State Chase

It took two months but authorities arrested two police officers Tuesday who were caught on video beating a suspect after he had surrendered.

The beating took place on May 11 after a high-speed car chase that spanned two states; an adventure that ended in New Hampshire when suspect Richard Simone stopped his truck on a dead-end street, stepped out and fell to his knees in attempt to lay down on the ground.

While that should have been the end of the story, two state troopers ran up to him and began kicking and punching him as a news copter from Massachusetts hovered overhead, recording the entire beating.

The two cops struck him at least 22 times during a 20-second span as other cops surrounded him. One cop even yelled “easy” to get them to stop beating them, which caused them to pause for a moment before continuing the beating.

The cops eventually handcuffed him, lifting him up and escorted him away to a patrol car.

“Sarge, I’m sorry, I fucked up,” Monaco told his supervisor after the beating. “I just ruined my life over one shit.”

Monaco then received medical attention for his bleeding knuckles.

The entire beating was captured by WCVB, a news station out of Boston, which is what sparked the investigation.

As a result, Massachusetts State Trooper Joseph Flynn was charged with two counts of simple assault, and New Hampshire State Trooper Andrew Monaco was charged with three counts of simple assault.

Charges could be enhanced as the crimes were committed while officers were on duty, according to the Union Leader, who pointed out that the prosecutor avoided the usual habit of taking the case before a grand jury.

Although a misdemeanor, the crime the two are accused of carries enhanced penalties: two to five years in New Hampshire State Prison, compared to 12 months in a county jail for a simple assault charge, Associate Attorney General Jane Young said.
The investigation determined that given the number of police officers present — nine, including a police dog team — and the fact that Simone was not resisting, no reason existed to justify the use of force.
Young said she would only discuss specifics and not make on overall comment about the behavior because her office is prosecuting the case. She said the evidence warrants the misdemeanor charge, and her office did not bring it before a grand jury.

Both were released on their own recognizance after paying bail. Flynn, 32, and Monaco, 31, will be arraigned in Nashua in September.

Simone, 50, was wanted on multiple arrest warrants, including assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and larceny, when he led police on the chase that reached speeds of 90 mph.

Both officers have been suspended without pay. Read the criminal complaints against them here and here.


Cops In Cuffs